Probably the single most important lesson I learned was "Never Quit". From before I even left, I ran into roadblocks. After taking a physical, the Army discovered I had a genetic heart defect, and disqualified me. But I refused to quit, or even let someone else tell me I should quit. I got a doctor to sign off that I was OK, and the Army waived me in. During Basic Training, I suffered a torn meniscus in my left knee, and I got pneumonia while in Advanced Training. But I took one day at a time (and with the help of medical notes!), I was still able to pass all the necessary requirements to continue on.
"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing you think you cannot do."~ Eleanor Roosevelt
I am an American Soldier.
I am a warrior and a member of a team.
I serve the people of the United States and live the Army values.
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.
I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.
I always maintain my arms, my equipment, and myself.
I am an expert and I am a professional.
I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.
I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.
I am an American soldier.
2 comments:
That just gives me goosebumps. I am so proud of you, little bro. So, so very proud. And might I just make an observation? You're using capital letters now. You deserve it!
How did I miss this?! I'm so friggin bad trying to keep up.
Congrats, man. I hope the kids didn't call you, Pops. We had a couple "Pops" in my basic class. They were almost like chaperones. Keeping most of us out of trouble with calmness and maturity.
I wouldn't trade my memories of the army for anything. Take good care of yours.
Post a Comment