02 March 2012

hello...? is this thing on?

It's been quite awhile since I've posted anything.  I wanted to start fresh on New Year's Day, but...well, you can guess what happened with that resolution.

But March 2 seems as good a day as any to get back into the swing of things.  First of all, March 2.  Where the hell did January and February go?!?  But I digress...

So far, this year has seen my family grow.  My son was born on February 11.  It's been two weeks, and I still haven't figured him out yet.  He's the calmest baby I've ever seen.  I joke around that we'll be on Maury Povich trying to figure out if I'm the real dad.  I haven't thought up a catchy blogging nickname for him yet, like La Taureau and La Cognilia.  Perhaps because I don't know what to make of him...yet.

Other than that, there's been nothing really to write about, but I guess the point of a blog is to write about nonsense.  I just need to find interesting nonsense to write about....

Which brings to me to this week...

I've had two promotions in a single week.  First, and I consider foremost, I've been promoted to sergeant in the US Army Reserves.  Despite the fact I'm a bleeding heart liberal, and I think the adoration we pour on the military is a direct result of our national embarassment of the poor treatment given the Vietnam Vets, and is completely over the top (we are a VOLUNTEER force, no made "made" us join, and we knew what we were getting into when we signed along the dotted line), I'm damn proud of my promotion.  I have no problem serving this country based on the principals I understand us to uphold.  And even though I'm not fighting for the freedoms of the American citizen (despite the overwhelming claims to the contrary), I'm fighting so that others in this world can have the same freedoms I enjoy; that is to worship, learn, grow, love, choose, and enrich myself any way I see fit...or not.

Secondly, I was promoted at my day job.  Well, not really "promoted" as I got applied and got another job. My previous job was as a Cashier, which I enjoyed very much.  But I wanted to get into a more Accounting based job, considering I have a two year degree, and I really enjoy it.  My new job as Insurance Coordinator, isn't really in the Accounting field, but it is a more analytic based job focusing on commissions our advisors get from insurance sales.  Sounds boring as hell, and a lot of it may very well be.  But the analytic part is what draws me like a street bum to a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20.

After this week, I'm afraid that my year has peaked, and it's only March....

No comments: